Biceps and Brainwaves : A Conversation with Health and Performance Coach Brandon Epstein
On a recent trip to Austin, Texas, I met up with the host of Entrepreneur Fitness, Brandon Epstein.
Brandon has a strong interest in the role of thought, as it relates to fitness and well-being, and he himself has quite a success story, having been an overweight former college football player who turned it all around in just a few short months to become a competitive body builder and a sought after fitness model for some of the world’s biggest fitness brands. He’s gone on to apply his experience to his clients and has been achieving similar results.
His college thesis work was on the manipulation of brainwave states to enhance performance and health, and our conversation in-person was so enjoyable and thought provoking that I invited him on the show.
It was a joy to sit for an hour and talk, and what came out of it was a great conversation with simple, practical advice that we all need to continuously hear. We also get pretty personal and share some things that few know about either of us, and how it relates to our current mindset.
Tune in and join us!
ON THIS EPISODE:
- How Brandon went from being a benched college football player to a star player in one summer, and how he changed his GPA from a 2.3 to a 4.0.
- Why “performance enhancement” begins in the mind, not the body.
- Why exercise for the mind is more important than exercise for the body.
- We discuss how only 10% of college teams have sports psychologists, and how that’s about to change dramatically.
- Roderick’s skeptical response to the term “energy work” and the power of placebo.
- The scientific contributions of Herbert Benson and the Relaxation Response
- How modern science is demystifying ancient traditions.
- The power of “self-talk”
- The story of Roderick’s devastating fire-walking accident.
- How willpower is a limited resource.
- The power of the compound effect.
- We muse about how difficult it can be to take your own advice.
- We talk about affirmations, what they are, how they work, and how to supercharge their effect.
We give you simple and immediately actionable techniques to improve your mindset, wellbeing and performance.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE SHOW
- Brandon Epstein is a health and performance coach, as well as the host of the top ranked health podcast ‘The Entrepreneur Fitness Podcast’. His mission is to help entrepreneurs live a life of flow. That entails mastery over one’s physical, mental and emotional fitness. To learn more about living a life in flow or to connect with Brandon personally – head over to his site EntrepreneurFitness.com
- The Entrepreneur Fitness Podcast (Click here to subscribe in iTunes)
- Brandon’s BetterYou app.
- Dr. Herbert Benson’s page on Wikipedia, and his groundbreaking, landmark book The Relaxation Response (definitely recommended reading).
TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT
Thanks to you, Remarkably Human Radio has reached #1 in several categories on iTunes. I really can’t thank you enough for your support! But I want to keep giving you the information, insights and discussions you’re hungry for. Is there a topic you’re interested in hearing about on the show? Do you know of someone who you think would be a great guest? Let me know! I’d love to hear from you. Send me an email (email@example.com) or leave a comment here. Who are the scientists, the adventurers, the athletes, the crazy, wonderful, weird and insightful people that you want to hear from on the show?
See you next week!