If there were a pill that could increase your focus, improve your memory, alleviate your anxiety and protect your brain from age-related decline, would you take it?
On this episode of Remarkably Human Radio, we talk about smart drugs – also known as nootropics or cognitive enhancers – with the host of the leading podcast on the topic, Jesse Lawler of Smart Drug Smarts.
We chat about what smart drugs are, what they are not, and even share “personal reports” of what it’s like to use smart drugs, including piracetam, aniracetam, modafinil, phenibut, l-theanine, caffeine and more.
Plus, we talk about my own very strict and specific personal standards for when one should and should not use smart drugs.
WE CHAT ABOUT
- What smart drugs are, and what they are not.
- How smart drugs differ from simple “healthy lifestyle.”
- The “Hierarchy of Cognitive Enhancers.”
- How smart drugs often start their lives as something else in the pharmaceutical world.
- Why modern medicine is not interested in “enhancement” but only “repair.”
- Why it’s really hard to do caffeine studies.
- Why taking smart drugs is a proactive and smart choice, and not “cheating.”
- The granddaddy of all smart drugs – piracetam – and the entire class of “racetams.”
- What is the “cognitive ceiling?”
- Anecdotal stories from Roderick and Jesse’s own smart supplementation experience.
- User reports of modafinil and armodafinil use.
- The difference between “smart drugs” and “nootropics.”
- Why the best smart drugs have no “psychotropic” component.
- The chemical that Roderick likes best.
- The benefits of combining l-theanine and caffeine
- The role of genetics, lifestyle and epigenetics in response to smart drugs.
- What are “dumb drugs?”
- The dangers of antihistamines found in over-the-counter cold, allergy and sleep medications.
- Why the term “drug” seems so negative.
- Tolerance and smart drug use.
FIND OUT MORE
- Smart Drug Smarts with Jesse Lawler
- Smart Drug Smarts on Twitter and Jesse Lawler on Twitter
- Smart Drugs II by Morgenthaler, Dean and Fowkes – the classic book on the topic
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I CAN ASK
My ride in iTunes New & Noteworthy has been exceptional thanks you all of you that have listened, reviewed and subscribed. I’m proud to say that you brought us to the #1 spot in six different categories, and recently you even pushed the show to #44 of all podcasts out there. We’ve been keeping company with some of the biggest shows, names and networks out there (including some of my favorite NPR shows!). Thanks to you, Remarkably Human Radio is an iTunes Top 50 Podcast!
But here’s the bad news – our time together in New & Noteworthy is almost up! So here’s what I need you to do.
- Head over to iTunes and subscribe, subscribe, subscribe! This will assure that you keep getting these episodes the very moment that they are released!
- Leave a review of the show inside of iTunes. This is what keeps us ranking so consistently high, and without your feedback and support, we’ll simply disappear!
My promise to you is this: as long as I keep getting your support, I’ll keep bringing you the best advice and the most extraordinary stories from the world’s most remarkable humans!
I love producing this show for you, and we’re just getting started! Keep the feedback coming, hit that subscribe button, and feel free to connect with me personally at any time. Leave comments below, right here on this page, or shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.