NO ONE IS BETTER OR FASTER THAN YOU. ONLY LESS AFRAID.
Today’s show is an incredible one! We had a few Skype issues so I spent some extra time cleaning up the audio for you, but secretly I was using it as an opportunity to listen to my guest, Dr. Stan Beecham, over and over again.
Dr. Beecham is a very successful sports psychologist who’s been in the industry virtually from the birth of the field. He’s also the author of a recent book called Elite Minds and has a lot to teach anyone – whether you like sports or not.
If you’re interested in performing your best in any field, be it business, sports, or life in general, this conversation is for you.
IN THIS EPISODE WE CHAT ABOUT:
- How belief – more than training and talent combined – is responsible for your performance in every aspect of life.
- Abandoning your ego to improve performance.
- Expectation vs. Hope. There’s a HUGE difference between expecting to win and wanting to win.
- How perfection and mistakes go hand-in-hand.
- Why professionals never have two “bad shots” and why you need to adopt this thinking too.
- My own recent “bad experience” on stage and my difficulty recovering from it.
- Why accidents don’t “just happen” and why some of us are more prone to them than others.
- How your words shape your reality.
- The dangers of identifying with your emotional states.
- Why lack of motivation, passion or drive is not your problem, and what is at the core of your struggles.
- How we ironically teach our children to be afraid when we think we’re teaching them to be safe.
- Overcoming fear and anxiety with mindfulness and metacognition.
- How the “self esteem” movement deeply damaged many of us.
- How we’ve lost sight of the “team” in favor of the “player” and why this is dangerous.
- How to use your competition to encourage you rather than discourage you.
- The difference between training to win a medal and training to make a team?
- The difference between expectation and belief and how it can sabotage you.
- The power of setting big, scary goals with a high chance of failure.
WINNING IS REALLY IMPORTANT, BUT NOT FOR THE REASONS YOU THINK.
CONNECT WITH DR. STAN BEECHAM
- Follow Dr. Beecham on Twitter
- Visit Dr. Beecham’s Website
- Grab a Copy of Dr. Beecham’s Book Elite Minds
THANKS FOR LISTENING! CAN YOU HELP OUT?
I’m super excited that you took the time to listen (and read) this incredible episode with Dr. Stan Beecham. If you enjoyed the show and want to hear more episodes, the single biggest way that you can help out is to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, leave a review and share it with all of your friends (you’ll find sharing icons at the top and bottom of this page).
It’s truly an honor to be recording this show for you, and as long as you’re listening, I aim to continue providing incredible, thought-provoking and downright cool interviews with exceptional people.
See you next week!